A busy week

12/06/2016


 

Last week has brought huge improvements to our structure and we are proud to announce the completion of both the roof frame and the interior walls!
Matthieu came to help a few days and Efe arrived to take over the project management. Xavier left but will be back for the workshop. Onur and Malcolm are still running full power.

 

 

 

 

 

13410853_10154167235098326_1219613074_oWe faced a number of technical challenges while erecting and fixing the large trusses we had prepared on the ground. The supporting pillars standing on the earthbags and gravel-filled tires had to be perfectly in line to allow for the best spread of weight of this roof. We started with carrying up the largest of them all, a 10 meters-300kg massive truss that we raised not with a crane, but with 6 strong, local-milk-fed builders who slowly pushed it up the building. Then came the two complementary parts meeting in the center to form a cross. But nothing was achieved until we put up the 4 smaller trusses forming the sides of the roof. They had to be pushed up from the ends by Matthieu trying to find his balance on a scaffolding while others pulled on a rope to hold things in place. Once hammered in, these trusses gave the building all its character and we felt like we were getting somewhere. We provided extra reinforcement with large V poles on each sides which will also serve as shelves at the entrances. The rafters were laid soon after and the OSB sheets are currently being laid to support the EPBM membrane which we ordered. Everyone is looking forward to completing this roof to have a nice shaded interior to work in.

 

2

In the meantime the inner slip-straw walls were completed, providing a clear sense of the space inside the building. Our Australian volunteers Malcolm made it his specialty and brilliantly completed the job. Some 30 bales of straw discarded by the farm were retrieved and used for this job. By the way, most of the materials we used until now are either locally produced/extracted or recycled such as all of the wood, 1/3rd of the bags, or pieces of concrete for the V beams anchorage.

 

 

Untitled-1

13405158_10154167235203326_583581865_o13441520_10154167235288326_588799562_o

 

The first tests on plasters were made with a ratio of clayey earth/straw of 1 to 3. We will show results of this attempt in the next post. A first layer of rough plaster has to cover the bags as soon as possible to avoid too much exposure to the sun which would degrade them. The old bath tub used for the slip-straw mix was put to use again for the feet mixing process.

 

 

 

13452971_10154168677923326_932370182_o

The team is working harder than ever, let’s see what another week of intense building brings! Follow our progress on instagram: www.instagram.com/tezekevleri/

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This